Skip to main content

MY STORY- Second Birth or The Awakening Part 4




While watching "Miss Teen USA" one evening, one of the finalists expressed her ambitious desire to become a neonatologist. She explained it was a preemie/baby doctor and given my life situation, I was sold. I refused to allow the arrival of a second child to spoil my own college ambitions and desire to achieve really amazing things, rendering myself dependent on a man with whom I could run intellectual circles around. Yet at the same time, I realized that having another child would severely limit my ability to attend. So I decided to step it up and take a couple more classes, before I would be tied down for yet another semester. After being appalled to learn that most physicians had never taken a simple nutrition class, I enrolled in Nutrition and Calculus during my second trimester. Nutrition was right up my alley and highly applicable to my pregnant status, while Calculus at 8 am was going to be a challenge. I enrolled in 7am Lap Swimming to be sure I was wide awake.

First of all, convincing Craig that I was not going to relinquish my education in order to wait on him hand and foot my entire life was no small task. I was dependent on him to watch our son. He didn't understand why I wasn't going to be just a SAHM like his mom. I remember crying and arguing with him over why he needed to hand over the funds for me to purchase my textbooks, that the library was not an option for me. However, when I did go to school, I felt like a real person. I was surrounded by people with goals, ambitions, like me. They didn't view me the way everyone in my life did. They didn't know me as Craig's wife or 'the teen mom'. Most people were shocked to find out I had a child already. They complimented me on going to school. I was good at it. Every morning, I would rush home after class and Craig would leave to start his day. I would put my baby son down for a nap, then study.

My first day of Calculus, I aimed to sit in the front row. I went right to the front and sat between two black girls. I chuckled to myself at the new world I had entered and struck up a conversation with my neighbor. She, too, wanted to be a neonatologist! She also had a 1 1/2 year old son! Moni was raised in a Christian house, but her mom had passed away when she was 10. She was raised by her ex-military father. Our bond was immediate. Moni, her second husband, four kids, and our family are still very close. I had the honor of attending the births of her last three children.

As I approached delivery, I grew awkward and clumsy with my swollen belly. Swimming every day felt absolutely amazing and therapeutic. Since we had moved to the city, and armed with my new knowledge about birth, I knew there was no way I was going to a doctor. I recall my mother-in-law and Craig being completely unsupportive of my desire for homebirth. The idea was shot down immediately. We lived in an apartment, I justified in my head, and for insurance reasons, I began to explore my options. Imagine my delight when I discovered that midwives existed that attend hospital births, but support the natural process! Of course, the medical community in the city had no options for this, so I found my midwife through the local, liberal college town where I coincidentally now reside. I drove 40-50 miles round trip for every appointment where i could absorb every morsel of information I could in order to experience a moment of empowerment I could only dream about at that time.

Right on time, exactly 11 days past my 40 week mark, I had contractions. I recall quite vividly being on the phone with my mom, late in the evening, and soaking in the tub as I had recently formed the habit of doing. (Christmas Vacation had started, my swim class over, I was probably missing the serenity of the water I had grown accustomed to.) I remember telling her what I had learned about 'real labor'. That being relaxed will strengthen real labor contractions, but the Braxton hicks (or false labor)would disappear with relaxation. I told her, if I get out of the tub, and feel the contractions I was currently timing get stronger, the we would know it was real. No sooner did i stand up, that I lost my breath. She knew (being two hours away) it was time to get on the road. She picked up my best friend (who was accustomed to attending the homebirths of her extended family, even as a child) and they were on their way. I got dressed and let Craig know "it was time." (Craig, by the way, thought i was funny to occasionally catch me off guard and throw ice cold water on me while I was taking my nighttime baths.)

We traveled through thick fog that January night, at times going 20 mph over the rice fields, to the hospital. My cherished midwife awaited my arrival, and I was quickly left in her capable hands. She encouraged me to lean on the bed, to sway my hips, to stand, to walk and to rock. As the waves became stronger and stronger, she told me to try something ingenius. She told me to use my voice. She said to keep a low hum, always keep a low voice. As the pain peaks, don't go high, tightening your body. Stay low, stay open. I followed that advice and slowly throughout my labor got louder, louder, and louder, fully embracing the sound of my voice. As mom and my bff arrived, they brought a fresh energy to the room, but I had already reached transition. Maybe from conditioning, but also from exhaustion, i chose to be in a semi-sitting position to push. I could grasp the birth bar above my head for leverage. BFF starting rubbing my inner thigh and offering soft encouragement. Her warm hand felt heavenly. My mom, smiled a big, toothy grin at the excitement of her coming grandchild, and proud that I had been doing so well. All i could see in that moment was her white, pearly teeth glaring like the sun, as most of the lights had been dimmed. "Mom, stop SMILING at me." I felt the enormous sense of power as I pushed with all my might, yelling out overwhelmed with sensation. I felt the 'ring of fire' as my perineum gave way. My casually dressed midwife was there, instructing me on how to slowly guide my baby out, but the uncontrollable urge overtook me as i pushed her head, then her body into the hands my midwife. She immediately put my baby on my belly and covered us with a warmed blanket. All was right in the world.

Twelve hours later I was on my way home. Babe in arms, perineum intact, and the two women who loved me the most, there to care and wait on me while I recovered. I felt a deep sense of satisfaction, contrasted with a growing unrest with my situation. BFF slept on the floor of my room through the first night to be sure that I could reach everything i needed.

Like the cliche says, that birth changed my life. At the time, I didn't really understand how profound the change really was. I decided that I should become a doctor, but with a new goal of becoming an Obstetrician who changes the world. I wanted to teach women to take control of their bodies, their births. With my new mission, I was ready to resume my education that August. I enrolled in Chemistry, and scarred to death of it, immediately signed up for a Chem Tutor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Love Your Children, Discipline Them, Please!

Is it just me or are parents getting more and more "permissive"? Parents afraid of their 3 and 4 year olds and SO EXHUASTED of parenting that they have already given up. I always imagine old episodes of Maury Povich when women would go on there, crying that their 10 year old beat them up. This blog is my two cents on discipline. After a being a mom for 1 year less than TWO DECADES, I think i am qualified. My two oldest are quite the little high achievers, both get great grades and in my biased opinion, are good citizens. In a mom group I attended a while back, they were all reading a book promoting the ridiculous idea that time-outs 'withhold love' and therefore are not healthy. The place was so filled with whiny, clingy, out-of-control children it made my skin crawl. My feeling is that time-outs are best executed like Super Nanny, where the child is first warned once, then put in time out with no explanation until the time-out is completed. (One minute per age of you

Homemade Deodorant

I like to blog about the random things i am proud of: Namely new recipes and things that bring out my inner hippie. I stopped using mainstream, store-bought deodorant, probably soon after High School with the birth of my oldest son. I remember getting a few samples in my cheerleader days, but since then I have been on a quest to find the best Non-Antiperspirant on the market. I learned the dangers of Aluminum early on, and have steered clear of Aluminum pots,vaccinations, and ESPECIALLY ANTI-PERSPIRANT ever since. I am not interested in putting toxic compounds near my lymph nodes and precious breast tissue on a daily basis. Nor am i interested in preventing my body from carrying out its NORMAL processes: namely sweating and menstruation. That's not to say I haven't struggled a bit with a good dose of BO. Ask my husband. In the summertime, he would walk in the door and let me know he smelled some 'funk'. Upon attending a mom group in the city, I learned about "zinc

Language/Communication Lesson #1 and Teen Talk

Over the summer, I found out through FB that my daughter had a bf. She had been gone for a week with my husband's family, home for no more than 3 days, and left again to visit dad and grandparents for another 2 weeks. How in that three days she found a bf is beyond me, except that we know how 'connected' they are with FB, texting, etc. The few months before that, she had gone through some major changes herself, and we found her attitude very amicable. She became much more compliant, quick to obey, cheerful, and quite helpful. AAAHHH! But don't let that allow you to let your guard down....the enemy is always seeking whom he may devour. With this new found bf, she was going to have to find a way to see him. And she did. No sooner had I discovered this when i suspected she must be finding some way to commence the relationship in person. Luckily, i am a hypersensitive, nosy mother who often checks my teens' text messages and fb accounts. (It is simply amazing what you