Skip to main content

MY STORY- Falling Down PART 5

Starting General Chemistry was life changing. I suddenly felt I was entering the big leagues and I had better stay on top of it or get run over. I made connections very quickly with the goal of having a support system in order to do well.

As fate would have it, my lab partner was another seed planted for my future. A Filipino, Rick was a happy go lucky fella with a strict catholic upbringing. Not 3 weeks after school began, his older brother committed suicide. My new friend came to class, grieving. I will never forget him burying his face in his hands with a pink scarf on his head. (Turns out he is red/green color blind.) We asked him what was wrong and he shared his anguish. Another life-long friendship formed.

Then came the day I began the tutoring. Mohammad and I met outside on a park bench. He smiled warmly, and I quickly realized there was more than just the chemistry I was being tutored on. Faced again with the reality that I was married, we formed a friendship and nothing else was said. I introduced him to my other chemistry buddies, and we begun to hang out. There was a group of four of us, who would often go to lunch, between classes and labs, and we got to know each other and the reasons for our ambitious coursework.

My home-life was non-existent. Craig and I, both full-time students, had opposite schedules. He fit his work hours and school hours into the times when I could be home between classes and labs. For three years, in those apartment-turned-prisons, i was either alone, or struggling to be heard, fighting against his control. Like his partying and apparent abandonment had taught me, being 21 entitled me to become more selfish, and I had every right to exercise my ability to do the same. Without even being conscious of it, I slowly took back control by my absence. Despite my misgivings about leaving my baby daughter, I had to get out of the oppression that existed every time I walked through my front door.

When I walked out that door, and into my other life, I felt alive. I felt respected and proud. I felt burdens of living a life of struggle and overwhelming responsibility disappear. I was doing what I should have been doing at that point in my life, learning, growing, and coming into my own. I was only weighed down by the life decision I had made and didn't know how to "fix". My chemistry tutor sessions turned into counseling sessions, and Mohammad would offer suggestions on how to improve my other life. He got to know the way that I think, the way I had made decisions, and really began to care about me.

To me, Mohammad was a complete anomaly from any guy I had ever met. A bit younger, he had come to school in the states from the Middle East. Raised in a strict Muslim household, he was supposed to return home after getting educated, to an arranged marriage, still a virgin. He had already taken the Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, at military school, in his native Arabic tongue. As I grew in respect for him, I became in awe of his intelligence and sensitivity toward me. I found myself struggling with feelings I never knew existed. Platonic for months, our affinity for one another grew. It didn't seem possible for me to love anyone who was not "Christian." But someone who was serious about his life, his religion, his god, and his ambitions (Nobel prize, Ph.D/M.D. combo programs), drew me in from a place in my soul that it felt like an oasis in the most bitter, desolated place. Straight out of my diary at the time, "At least he loves his god, like a man with a god should".

Craig's growing suspicions by my absence were confirmed. He asked me straight out. I answered in the affirmative. Angry, confused, and hurt, he immediately got on the phone to his parents. And mine. In my view, he needed emotional support, sure, but he was no stranger to securing his 'good husband' facade, and came out looking like nothing but a victim. I was the black sheep. He had done the 'right thing' by marrying me, and I had ruined it by being the villain. The scarlet letter scarred my insides with the empty abandonment of my parents reaffirming the shame I had tried so long to shed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Love Your Children, Discipline Them, Please!

Is it just me or are parents getting more and more "permissive"? Parents afraid of their 3 and 4 year olds and SO EXHUASTED of parenting that they have already given up. I always imagine old episodes of Maury Povich when women would go on there, crying that their 10 year old beat them up. This blog is my two cents on discipline. After a being a mom for 1 year less than TWO DECADES, I think i am qualified. My two oldest are quite the little high achievers, both get great grades and in my biased opinion, are good citizens. In a mom group I attended a while back, they were all reading a book promoting the ridiculous idea that time-outs 'withhold love' and therefore are not healthy. The place was so filled with whiny, clingy, out-of-control children it made my skin crawl. My feeling is that time-outs are best executed like Super Nanny, where the child is first warned once, then put in time out with no explanation until the time-out is completed. (One minute per age of you

Homemade Deodorant

I like to blog about the random things i am proud of: Namely new recipes and things that bring out my inner hippie. I stopped using mainstream, store-bought deodorant, probably soon after High School with the birth of my oldest son. I remember getting a few samples in my cheerleader days, but since then I have been on a quest to find the best Non-Antiperspirant on the market. I learned the dangers of Aluminum early on, and have steered clear of Aluminum pots,vaccinations, and ESPECIALLY ANTI-PERSPIRANT ever since. I am not interested in putting toxic compounds near my lymph nodes and precious breast tissue on a daily basis. Nor am i interested in preventing my body from carrying out its NORMAL processes: namely sweating and menstruation. That's not to say I haven't struggled a bit with a good dose of BO. Ask my husband. In the summertime, he would walk in the door and let me know he smelled some 'funk'. Upon attending a mom group in the city, I learned about "zinc

Language/Communication Lesson #1 and Teen Talk

Over the summer, I found out through FB that my daughter had a bf. She had been gone for a week with my husband's family, home for no more than 3 days, and left again to visit dad and grandparents for another 2 weeks. How in that three days she found a bf is beyond me, except that we know how 'connected' they are with FB, texting, etc. The few months before that, she had gone through some major changes herself, and we found her attitude very amicable. She became much more compliant, quick to obey, cheerful, and quite helpful. AAAHHH! But don't let that allow you to let your guard down....the enemy is always seeking whom he may devour. With this new found bf, she was going to have to find a way to see him. And she did. No sooner had I discovered this when i suspected she must be finding some way to commence the relationship in person. Luckily, i am a hypersensitive, nosy mother who often checks my teens' text messages and fb accounts. (It is simply amazing what you