Skip to main content

Wine, Foreigners, and a New Bliss





As you can see, I am having a creative stretch. In the kitchen, at least. I have this fantasy that Food Network will call me up and invite me to be on "The Next Food Network Star" or something. I take recipes i find, then make them my own. Years of having to budget for groceries, making the meal stretch for 8 people every night, and dropping the midweek restaurant meals have led me to being a pretty darn good cook, if i do say so myself.

Wine Tasting has grown into a bit of a hobby. I finally grew a palate for more than white dessert wines. Don't get me wrong, i love the right Muscat and Reisling, but i truly get a hankering for Amador Barberas or Coastal Pinots now. I know i enjoy the Zinfandels of the "Russian River" area and steel fermented chardonnays. The best way to spend an afternoon with girlfriends? Grab a SF Style sourdough bagette and a bit of Havarti cheese, maybe some gourmet dark chocolate and head west, south, or east from here and you will find yourself in the middle of wine country before you know it. I never grow weary of tasting the wines, inhaling the aromas, learning about the grapes, the fermentation processes, the farmer's point of view on the weather. Late Harvest Zins, Tempranillos, Barberas, Primitivos, and fragrant blends reminiscent of cherries, blueberries, even chocolate or coffee and tobacco.....all to conjure up powerful images in your mind and leave you wanting more.

As for the foreigners, i surround myself with them, almost insatiably taking in all the culutural nuances like a child in a candy shop. I began a new BLISS! I teach English conversation at the local I-House, where i am surrounded every week by South Koreans, Brazilians, Iranians, Peruvians, Chinese, Japanese, and people from other corners of the globe. I met a man from Kenya one day and saw him in the local park a week later. He was only a couple of days from returning to Kenya....We exchanged small talk and as we began to leave, we saw the man he was with praying over him. I pulled back up, jumped from the car, and offered to pray over him, too. Mike and I both laid hands on him, along with his friend, and felt it was such a divine encounter. Turns out, the man praying for him lived at my address only a few years back!!

Last night, I met a Cuban, more Koreans, and have made several elderly chinese friends who love my class and exclaim in their VERY broken English that "joo are good tea-cha". Sooo cute. I love discussing idioms and the difference between "taken" and "took" or what "I'm broke" means and what "I'm outta here" means. They think I am so smart! Who wouldn't like being the "expert" in the room?? Then, I try and become the student myself, bugging every native Spanish speaker I meet to please offer their services and volunteer an hour each week to allow me practice my horrific grammar on them.

As usual, I am late going to bed. A little over-extended myself, chatted a friend's ear off, and hopefully going to be able to sleep solidly. For now, waiting for my next big break. Big Blessing and expecting more Good Things from God. Constantly trying to remind myself that we don't live in the World's economy, but in God's. That i don't have to "struggle" to make it work, it just will by using the gift He gave me and continuing to do what He puts in front of me. Right now, that means being "La Ama de Casa", English Teacher, Soccer Coach, Mom, Dear, and Master Chef.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Love Your Children, Discipline Them, Please!

Is it just me or are parents getting more and more "permissive"? Parents afraid of their 3 and 4 year olds and SO EXHUASTED of parenting that they have already given up. I always imagine old episodes of Maury Povich when women would go on there, crying that their 10 year old beat them up. This blog is my two cents on discipline. After a being a mom for 1 year less than TWO DECADES, I think i am qualified. My two oldest are quite the little high achievers, both get great grades and in my biased opinion, are good citizens. In a mom group I attended a while back, they were all reading a book promoting the ridiculous idea that time-outs 'withhold love' and therefore are not healthy. The place was so filled with whiny, clingy, out-of-control children it made my skin crawl. My feeling is that time-outs are best executed like Super Nanny, where the child is first warned once, then put in time out with no explanation until the time-out is completed. (One minute per age of you

Homemade Deodorant

I like to blog about the random things i am proud of: Namely new recipes and things that bring out my inner hippie. I stopped using mainstream, store-bought deodorant, probably soon after High School with the birth of my oldest son. I remember getting a few samples in my cheerleader days, but since then I have been on a quest to find the best Non-Antiperspirant on the market. I learned the dangers of Aluminum early on, and have steered clear of Aluminum pots,vaccinations, and ESPECIALLY ANTI-PERSPIRANT ever since. I am not interested in putting toxic compounds near my lymph nodes and precious breast tissue on a daily basis. Nor am i interested in preventing my body from carrying out its NORMAL processes: namely sweating and menstruation. That's not to say I haven't struggled a bit with a good dose of BO. Ask my husband. In the summertime, he would walk in the door and let me know he smelled some 'funk'. Upon attending a mom group in the city, I learned about "zinc

MY STORY- Never an option. (side note)

My best friend at the time had a great relationship with her mom. We had both got accepted to a great university and before i found out i was pregnant, we had been scheming about how to be roommates. After the big news, her mom suggested i have an abortion. "A baby will ruin your life!" she told me, "I can take you down there, we won't have to tell your mom." I know this was said with the best of intentions. But i had seen my mom pregnant with my younger brothers. I watched her belly grow and her ease into breastfeeding. My mom used talked to me about abortion and how God 'knows us from the moment of conception." She even told me that if she was ever raped, she would keep the baby. If she was so concerned about seeing the father's face in her child for the rest of her life, she said, she would give it up for adoption. It just wasn't the baby's fault. Thank you, mom. Lesson Learned for Talking with Teens: TALK TO YOUR KIDS. If you don't