Skip to main content

The Toddler Blog


Toddlers are funny creatures. This just occurred to me, actually. Well, for the millionth time. I have my FOURTH one (Hard to believe, I know, even for me) and she says, "Mommy, I have to go potty." You see, we did the whole EC (elimination communication) thing and she has been wearing panties since before her second birthday. But that is not the subject of this blog (stay tuned for future blogs on the subject). It is that toddlers are funny....and that occurred to me as she was skipping her way back to the bathroom wearing her one piece brown polka dot bathing suit (backwards, of course). Even as i write, she has dug out the bottoms of her 2 piece and is currently naked. Keep in mind, although it is an unseasonably warm winter here in Northern California, it is January.

She insists upon pink most of the time. Pink egg shakers in music class, pink clothing, pink stuffed doggies in a bag at the toy store, pink strawberry shortcake nightgown, pink bows and hairthings, pink everything! Did i mention that I own a pink Kitchen Aid mixer because I had PINK on the brain during my entire last pregnancy??

Toddlers. They want what they want, when they want it. Try explaining to a two year old why we don't have chocolate for lunch. Or why she needs to wear CLOTHING to go out, or why she should leave the cat alone while its trying to eat, or why mommy really needs her to whisper while she's on the phone because its an IMPORTANT business call. Yeah right.... I guess it is the art of always being in awe of the child mind that keeps me sane.

This phase is not anything new, I realize, but its interesting how a little person who is so ego-centric at such a young age has the potential to have self-esteem issues later on. I guess that is one of the many jobs of parents: To protect their self esteem, to instill their worth to their very core so that the world doesn't beat them down so much that they don't achieve what psychologist call "SELF ACTUALIZATION". Protecting their ability to achieve their fullest potential until they are able to do a good job of protecting and then advancing themselves. Food for thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You Love Your Children, Discipline Them, Please!

Is it just me or are parents getting more and more "permissive"? Parents afraid of their 3 and 4 year olds and SO EXHUASTED of parenting that they have already given up. I always imagine old episodes of Maury Povich when women would go on there, crying that their 10 year old beat them up. This blog is my two cents on discipline. After a being a mom for 1 year less than TWO DECADES, I think i am qualified. My two oldest are quite the little high achievers, both get great grades and in my biased opinion, are good citizens. In a mom group I attended a while back, they were all reading a book promoting the ridiculous idea that time-outs 'withhold love' and therefore are not healthy. The place was so filled with whiny, clingy, out-of-control children it made my skin crawl. My feeling is that time-outs are best executed like Super Nanny, where the child is first warned once, then put in time out with no explanation until the time-out is completed. (One minute per age of you

Homemade Deodorant

I like to blog about the random things i am proud of: Namely new recipes and things that bring out my inner hippie. I stopped using mainstream, store-bought deodorant, probably soon after High School with the birth of my oldest son. I remember getting a few samples in my cheerleader days, but since then I have been on a quest to find the best Non-Antiperspirant on the market. I learned the dangers of Aluminum early on, and have steered clear of Aluminum pots,vaccinations, and ESPECIALLY ANTI-PERSPIRANT ever since. I am not interested in putting toxic compounds near my lymph nodes and precious breast tissue on a daily basis. Nor am i interested in preventing my body from carrying out its NORMAL processes: namely sweating and menstruation. That's not to say I haven't struggled a bit with a good dose of BO. Ask my husband. In the summertime, he would walk in the door and let me know he smelled some 'funk'. Upon attending a mom group in the city, I learned about "zinc

MY STORY- Never an option. (side note)

My best friend at the time had a great relationship with her mom. We had both got accepted to a great university and before i found out i was pregnant, we had been scheming about how to be roommates. After the big news, her mom suggested i have an abortion. "A baby will ruin your life!" she told me, "I can take you down there, we won't have to tell your mom." I know this was said with the best of intentions. But i had seen my mom pregnant with my younger brothers. I watched her belly grow and her ease into breastfeeding. My mom used talked to me about abortion and how God 'knows us from the moment of conception." She even told me that if she was ever raped, she would keep the baby. If she was so concerned about seeing the father's face in her child for the rest of her life, she said, she would give it up for adoption. It just wasn't the baby's fault. Thank you, mom. Lesson Learned for Talking with Teens: TALK TO YOUR KIDS. If you don't