Skip to main content

New Mom

Today has been an interesting day. The whole week, for that matter. Through a chain of events I never anticipated, I have added two more to my clan. Yes, six.

So it happened like this: I am at a friendly BBQ with my son and his friends and meet a fellow mom at the party who is a judge. She plants a seed: She says I should be a foster mom for "emergency babies"...you know, those babies who they are trying to place with a relative, but are waiting for clearance. SHORT TERM. Two days to two weeks. I think, "Yeah, right." Maybe in some distant future.

Did I mention i have a sister-in-law who works for CPS?? So my OTHER sister-in-law decides to have her baby at home, (YEAH!) and has a midwife who is both a foster mom and a midwife. WOW. I am in awe. During the birth i see that she is completely normal, (not crazy) and appears to be okay. I also learn of two local moms who have gone the foster parent route in order to adopt.

Three months later I decide to "inquire". You don't just "inquire" about fostering. If you have a heart, you start figuring out ways that YOU can do it. I really enjoyed the classes and before I knew it, i was taking CPR and first aid with my husband...and then it started. First, we thought we would take an older boy...like, three or four. The more serious I got, the more I realized how important it would be for me to bond with the child and the younger my preference got. Every step of the way, I thought, "this is optional. I can back out at ANY time..." However, I did feel a direction from GOD and an urgency I couldn't explain. In myself, I kept trying to back out. But i thought, "what is the harm in getting the liscense, I don't have to take any actual kids..." Yet, I still felt an urgency...and I was talking about getting two. A one year old and a newborn. HA HA. We were told siblings are difficult to place and most of the time they are very close in age. I also learned that it is good to keep your birth order of your birth children. Being that my youngest is 2 1/2 years, I thought, well, we w0uld have to take one or two Under two.

Around Christmas, i cried because I felt that i needed to pray for any pending foster children...especially if one is in Utero that we could end up with. I kept feeling a push, a shove, really, I couldn't explain, like God was telling me..."GET IT DONE" (My liscensing, that is)
Mid January, my kids break out in Chicken Pox, first one, then the other. Meanwhile,I prayed, "God, did i obey you??" By now, I am sure you have guessed it. Those children are now sleeping in my house tonight. We don't know if we will have them past Tuesday, or past their next hearing, or if relatives are going to pop out of the woodwork. They could. They might, but somehow I doubt it.

By the way, the first few hours I was full of adrenaline and scarred out of my freaking mind. Ask me tomorrow how I feel after a night with a five week old I cannot nurse. But somehow, throught the course of the day and with a TON of extra grace today, I got through it. And you think God is a figment of my imagination....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY STORY- Never an option. (side note)

My best friend at the time had a great relationship with her mom. We had both got accepted to a great university and before i found out i was pregnant, we had been scheming about how to be roommates. After the big news, her mom suggested i have an abortion. "A baby will ruin your life!" she told me, "I can take you down there, we won't have to tell your mom." I know this was said with the best of intentions. But i had seen my mom pregnant with my younger brothers. I watched her belly grow and her ease into breastfeeding. My mom used talked to me about abortion and how God 'knows us from the moment of conception." She even told me that if she was ever raped, she would keep the baby. If she was so concerned about seeing the father's face in her child for the rest of her life, she said, she would give it up for adoption. It just wasn't the baby's fault. Thank you, mom. Lesson Learned for Talking with Teens: TALK TO YOUR KIDS. If you don't...

MY STORY- This is only the beginning. Part 1

The church we have considered our church home for some time often has people give their testimonies. They call it "MY STORY". They value transparency. The point of this blog is to tell the story of how i got pregnant the first time. It's the start of my testimony, but it's also important for my personal growth, as I still continue to process and struggle through the results of my decisions at that time. My hope for my readers is that it sheds light on how you can talk to your teens. Of course, the biggest teacher for me was having vivid memories myself. I will preface this by saying that as I describe MEMORIES, some of the memories are straight out of my teen-age brain at the time, and were i to experience them now, i would most likely encounter a different perception. Nonetheless, these experiences have shaped who i am and make me into the person that I am today. I will call this Scene #1. I am in 7th grade. My main priority at the time was to be accepted by my peers...

MY STORY-Playing House Part 2

Before I move on, I think its worth mentioning a word about Craig's background...without getting too detailed. Adopted twice in his life, he had been abandoned at the hospital at birth. His first adoption from his native country was at age 2, straight out of an Orphanage. As I have matured, I think this knowledge has made it very easy for me to forgive him. Ironically, I think its one of the reasons I had a difficult time walking away from him as a teen. After having the two foster babies last year, especially the 13 month old, with all her control issues and manipulative behavior, it really brought home for me the extent of behavioral issues that can arise from atypical bonding. In order to paint the picture a little clearer, let me describe scene #2: We are newly married. I am 6 months pregnant. (I can still see the shirt i wore all the time, while sitting in the chair, and my protruding belly in my mind.) Everything in our 550 square foot apartment is brand new. The dishes, pot...